Type 1 Cycling

Type 1 Cycling

Thursday, July 11, 2013

My last Diabetes check up

Last meeting with my Diabetes team I had a really good result of 6.6%. I went to the meeting and got in trouble because my meter had too many hypos on it from the previous 2 weeks.

The annoying thing was that they didn't really pay attention.  There was probably less than half the actual hypos as I often double check or check 10-15 minutes later when I am still coming up, but the meter still registers me as low.

The second problem is a lack of understanding of statistics. They claimed that my good result was not any good because a I had too many lows, therefore balancing out the highs.  A wild extrapolation at best, the readings on my meter were for 2 weeks, the HbA1c test is and average for 3 months. Additionally the amount of time I am high for, when I am high, is usually significantly longer then the amount of time I am low for.  I treat lows very quickly with lots of sugar, and I treat highs very slowly with small amounts of insulin so that I do not end up low. So pretty simple statistics tells us that I would need an extreme amount of lows to balance out a few long highs.  Therefore my control must have on average been better than they were suggesting.

Their final comment on this was that its bad to have too many lows, as you can lose sensitivity to them.  OK fair point, but considering I don't normally have that many lows I think I will be OK.  Then came the knock out punch.  I was told it can lead to problems with the brain if I have too many hypos.  What the hell.  That was new to me.  I am aware what can happen if I don't treat my hypo, then its quite possible that I could cause damage to many of my organs.  But when I refer to a hypo I am just low, nothing too serious.  Still able to treat myself.

Everyone knows about the long term complications of high blood sugar. But now I am learning about the long term problems with low blood sugar too!  According to this article research done states that there are no problems associated with too my low blood sugar incidents and in fact it is preferable, and expected,  if that is the consequence of keeping blood sugar low.  Phew!

to quote the relevant part:
"Researchers also found that intensive management, which often resulted in more frequent low blood sugars, had no negative effects on the minds of patients. You can rest more peacefully knowing that low blood sugars do not seem to have any connection to cognitive impairment."

No comments:

Post a Comment