Type 1 Cycling

Type 1 Cycling

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Weighing in on Lance Armstrong

I honestly don't want to get too involved in the debate about his apparent guilt. This is partially a cycling blog and it is something any fans of cycling as a professional sport will have and opinion on.  What I have been saying from the start is that targeting Armstrong is a little unfair.  I could even go so far as to say that it has been sounding more and more like the main protagonists are just bitter people with an axe to grind.  I am not saying that Armstrong is innocent of wrong doing, but the reality is not quite the picture they are painting.

What I am saying is that Armstrong was probably competing on a level playing field because most of his competitors were also on performance enhancing drugs.  He had the team that was best at utilizing the drugs and not getting caught.  No different from a football team that does its best to dive when they get the chance to get penalties and free kicks.  I could go on but I think it best left to this article.  Reasonable evidence that the problem of performance enhancing drugs was not limited to Armstrong, it did not start with him either, in fact it is something evident in the peloton for more than 20 years perhaps considerably more.

No comments:

Post a Comment