Type 1 Cycling

Type 1 Cycling

Monday, November 12, 2012

Some more on Stack Exchange

Update:  I am sad to say that due to lack of support for the project it has automatically been deleted.  If you think that this is something that I should attempt to resurrect and are will to support and publicize it, please let me know.

StackExchange started life as a programming ( stackoverflow.com ) related question and answer site.  Set up with certain guiding principles to "do it right" where so many similar sites got it wrong.  On the whole they did a really good job.  The creators took the model and created a network of sister sites all under the umbrella of StackExchange.com . The topics range from the English language to photography, from bicycles to religion, and many many tech related niches.  They also offer the opportunity to propose any site you wish to be housed in their network at http://area51.stackexchange.com.  I have proposed diabetes as a new site but I am having trouble gaining traction.  The problem is at the moment 3 fold. 
1) I am not doing a very good job of publicising it.
2) I am not sure that enough diabetics are interested in a site like this
3) I think there are a lot of websites out there that may already offer some of what I want to offer here, mostly in a different format, but at the same time making it redundant at least in some people's eyes.

The best thing to do is to have a look and see what you think. my proposal link is below
http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/46884/diabetes

A bit more info:
The site relies on the good will of people and the desire to get involved and help people out.  This is all done for free.  There are no prizes only reputation (it is amazing how much a number on a profile can motivate you).  The more reputation the more reliable you are deemed to be, and the more privileges you receive.  Reputation is gained by both giving good answers and asking good questions.  The end result is a repository of useful information, created and moderated by its users, who are motivated people that share an interest.  The sites are clean, and easy to use.  You do not have to pay to be a member and you don't even need to create a new ID to join (you can use facebook, twitter or google logins).

What  we need.  In order to get a site off the ground, that is out of the proposal phase and into the testing phase I need people to sign up, if they are not already and click on follow.  we need 60 people following the proposal.  I also need people to propose questions that they think are suitable for the site, you can only post 5 questions each so make them count.  Some will be some won't be.  There will be some discussion about the relative merits of each question.  Finally if you like questions that other people have posted you can upvote them.  Once we have 60 followers and 40 questions with at least 10 upvotes each, then we move on to the next phase.

This is the starting point.  What we really need is for people to commit to being on the site regularly.  Help writing the FAQ, moderating and answering questions.  The more use it gets the more useful it will become and the more users will be attracted to it.  Its easy to get started. Trust me I started with stackoverflow because I was looking for an answer now I check every day to see if I can help other people with their problems.

Final thought.  I have noticed over the past week that I have got stuck into the online diabetic world that there are people, like yourself, out there who wish to selflessly get involved and provide resources for other diabetics.  There are also people out there who need answers.  There are also people out there that are alone and looking to meet other diabetics.  These are all things that I am targeting and I have seen that they exist.  Converting that energy is proving difficult.

Let me know what you think and if you have any ideas, but most of all come join in.

No comments:

Post a Comment